Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Awesomeness

Can I just share with you my awesomeness? All week I've been doing inservices for our nursing staff. Inservices about Respiratory and ventilators and arterial blood gas interpretation. With power points. I think I'm going to make a power point presentation for everything I do from now on. It's great fun! I think that I might actually be a pretty good teacher too (which is good considering it's my future career). I can actually see on their faces if they're getting it. When I ask them questions. They can answer me. I feel like I'm finally gaining some respect in my field. I'm more than just a neb jockey. I get to use my BRAIN!
Since starting my new position, I've also noticed a huge reduction in my stress level. Direct patient care is stressful. It's not just the work assignment or the tasks themselves, but dealing with difficult patients, families, and situations. Working only 8 hour shifts and not 12 hour shifts also makes a bit of difference. I'm not going back and forth from days, 3-11's and midnights. I'm not so exhausted physically and emotionally when I get home from work that I have to decide which I want more a shower, dinner, or my bed. I actually have time when I get home to make dinner, maybe throw in a load of laundry, and more importantly RELAX!
This must be what normal people feel like.
It's pretty awesome.

4 comments:

Jenn Martinson said...

I have no idea what a Neb Jockey is but I'm glad you're not one anymore!

Amy Plumb said...

Good for you anytime there is less stress that's a plus!

Lisa said...

That is awesome! Less stress is a great thing. I'm working toward that myself.

Rick Frea said...

Teaching is something I love to do too. Perhaps that's why we blog. Sounds like a good job.