Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Book Reviews

Because really, who has time to read bad books?

Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer
About: I'm going to give you just a brief summary of all four books. I don't want to share too much for fear of completely ruining them. This series is basically about the love story between Bella Swan and Edward Cullen. When Bella moves to Washington state to live with her father she meets Edward. But Edward is different. He's a vampire. A good one. After he saves her from a car accident, she becomes involved with him, his "family" and the vampire world. In book 2, Edward feels that this new world is too dangerous (go figure) for Bella and he leaves her. Enter Jacob. Little does Bella know, Jacob too has a secret. Eventually Edward comes back and book 3 is about the love triangle. Book four wraps up the series and resolves any loose ends.
What I thought: After reading Twilight I became obsessed and read all four books (each one is approx 500 pages) in two weeks. I like vampire stories. I like love stories. Keep in mind while reading this that the main character (and intended audience) is a dramatic teenage girl. There were a few parts that I sighed and rolled my eyes about.
Read it? OMG you HAVE to! And do it by December when the movie comes out!

Rosie Dunne by Cecelia Ahern (also wrote P.S. I love you--great book!)
About: This book is about the unexpected path that Rosie's life takes as told entirely though cards, letters, and emails. These letters start from the time Rosie is a small child and continue thoughout her life until she is middle-aged. Her BFF Alex also plays a large part in the story and her decisions.
What I thought: I thought that the concept of letters makes for an interesting read. Rosie is a likeable character and you root for her through all her setbacks even if you are irritated with her decisions. She is someone you want to see happy in the end.
Read it? I think it's worth it as Rosie's character has flaws and has real obstacles that make you relate to her character a little better. I also felt kinship with the fact that her best and closest friend since childhood was a boy.

Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich
About: Bounty Hunter Stephanie Plum is back! After an armed robbery to the tune of nine million dollars Morelli’s distant cousin Loretta is kidnapped. Stephanie must watch out for Loretta’s son, who looks a LOT like Morelli, and try to find Loretta before time runs out. Can this bumbling bounty hunter do it?
What I thought: This was not one of her best Stephanie Plum books, but I liked it nonetheless. It is a humorous, light, read where every person is a character.
Read it? If you’re a fan of Evanovich you will enjoy the newest one in the series. If you’ve never read anything by her before, read it….and then catch up!

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella
About: (taken right from the book sleeve) When twenty-eight-year-old Lexi Smart wakes up in a London hospital, she's in for a big surprise. Her teeth are perfect. Her body is toned. Her handbag is Vuitton. Having survived a car accident-in a Mercedes no less- Lexi has lost a big chunk of her memory, three years to be exact, and she's about to find out just how much things have changed.
What I thought: I happen to like both chick lit and Sophie Kinsella's writing style so I really enjoyed this book. It felt like I was discovering Lexi's life right along side her. I also enjoyed watching her grow to accept the person she'd become and the path she had chosen to take and to make some major life changes.
Read it?: I think if you want a nice light summer read that's mildly humorous, go for it! It's a very quick read.

5 comments:

Melanie Sheridan said...

I read this too and enjoyed it. It was a quick read, just like her others.

readsalot said...

I haven't read this one yet but I think I will. I love books and am always trying to motivate myself to write reviews for them on my blog.

Lisa said...

I've never read anything by her, but I love to read. I'm going to like checking your book reviews. I just recently finished "She Always Wore Red" by Angela Hunt. Good times.

Jenn Martinson said...

Sophie Kinsella took over my life with the Shopaholic Series but lost me when she wrote "Undomestic Goddess".

Bob Stein said...

Amazon is a great place to write your book reviews. It's the first place I look when undecided on buying a book. Posting a link to your own reviews is a little unwieldy though, I think mine is http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1OE1WDO2KTZA/ref=cm_pdp_reviews_see_all