Monday, July 13, 2009

Hey Baby, Wanna Go For Drinks?

I am such a nerd.

I know I've posted in the past about how difficult it is for me to make new friends. I'm shy. I feel like I'm trying too hard. All my girl friends live to far away. I don't really know where to go to meet new people.....etc. Well, this past weekend I went to a party at my Aunts house. There was food, fireworks, and tons of people. Some of them my family. So I immediately started drinking. Have you tried the Bacardi Silver Mojito's? They're awesome by the way. After three of them, I felt more comfortable mingling. One of my aunt's neighbor's and I really hit it off. She's around my age and doesn't live that far from me. She saved a seat for me when we went to see the fireworks ( I know I'm totally 13 years old).

At the end of the night she gave me her home and cell numbers. Here's my problem. I totally feel like a guy here. How long do I wait before calling her up? When I do, what should I say? Wanna hang out? Do we need an activity? Like: Wanna go to a movie/lunch/shopping?

Most of the close friends I have now are a different story. We were in the same Biology class, or worked together at one point, or lived by each other. We were around each other a lot and just became friends. This one is going to require some effort.

Spiderman has spent the last few days laughing his ass off at how stressed I've been over my "chick date". But, it's easy for guys. He just sets up his bean bags at the end of our driveway and dudes come out of the woodwork. With beer. Girls are harder.

What would you do? How do you make friends with complete strangers?

6 comments:

JackeeG4glamorous said...

Call her up, ask her what she's doing....then say, wanna go to lunch, Kohl's, etc.... See what her likes/dislikes are. Go get a latte at B&N, and discuss some "reads" or invite her over for lunch. Maybe she'll invite you over first.

Mimi's Toes said...

You are funny. Go ahead and give her a call. You won't look desperate if you call right away. Meet at Don Pablo's so I can go over on my lunch hour and spy. LOL. Hope you hit it off and start building a great friendship. Enjoy your time off.

readsalot said...

Coffee or lunch is always good. I'm not great at this either. Eugene and I made two friends in our five months in Orlando. Fail.

Anonymous said...

Call her up and see if she wants to go to a movie or lunch. She gave you her numbers so she obviously wants you to call.

Heidi said...

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah...Pick up the phone, dial her number, when she answers you'll know what to say. It's not a big deal, really. I agree with Lori, invite her to lunch. When you're at lunch you'll learn more about her.

rjtaylor said...

I'll let you in on a secret, thinking is for suckers. Just call and say that you are headed out and wanted to see if she wanted to catch lunch. Let it go from there. The simple plan is usually the best one.