Friday, October 10, 2008

Before and After

Spiderman and I have lived in our house for a little over a year now. When we moved in, the entire house was already decorated. While pretty, it was not really our taste. Every wall was painted in muted colors mostly pale yellows, beige and taupe. Now I know that there are a lot of beige people out there, but I am not one of them. That's not to say that I HATE beige....it's just that I can't handle it if EVERYTHING is beige. My downstairs living room, for example, was painted in two different shades of beige.

Please excuse the prominent toilet present in this photo. But do take notice of the nice green color of the bathroom...the only room up to this point that we had painted. Do you see the contrast between the beige and the "Sarah"? It's pretty obvious. Well, this week in honor of our anniversary, Spiderman and I took the week off work. The first thing we tackled? Yep...painting the living room!
Separating the two shades of beige, the previous owners put up a textured border. And then they painted over it. They did this border idea throughout the entire house, let me mention, and it's slowly starting to bubble and peel off in places. This is forcing us to move up our painting time table because it looks like shit and is driving me nuts.
Because we chose this room to start with (it was making me COMPLETELY crazy) the border decided that it would be a total pain in the ass to come off. I had originally considered another border to separate the two different colors we had chosen to paint the room, but after dealing with this border, my mind was changed. Instead we taped off a stripe between the colors. The walls are in an eggshell finish and the stripe is high gloss. I do have to say that I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out.
What do you think?

6 comments:

Mimi's Toes said...

Oh Sarah, I love it! It looks alive now and has personality. Great Job...and thanks for telling me to take care of myself...I am doing just that!

Jenn Martinson said...

I loves it! You make those Top Design contestants look lame!!

Lisa said...

I love it! You did an amazing job. I'm thinking of hiring someone to take the wallpaper off our walls and paint. It's a huge job.

Jen said...

I love it! What a drastic improvement.

Amy Plumb said...

That's the color you had at the meet-up. I love it! I love color I think it looks really great!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!