Friday, July 30, 2010

Finally, A Post About Something!

Last week I was reading the newspaper and found an article about a woman in Illinois who was convicted of reckless homicide. She had been painting her fingernails while driving her car and hit and killed a woman on a motorcycle. PAINTING HER FINGERNAILS!?!?!?

I mean, when you get into your car and paint your fingernails that is a conscious decision to not even remotely pay attention to driving. She was saying to herself that the state of her nails was more important than driving. It's not like she was temporarily distracted. She never even tried to pay attention.

More shocking than this is the fact that after being found guilty she was only sentenced to 18 months of intermittent jail time. INTERMITTENT JAIL TIME?!?!? What does that mean? Well, it means that she only has to Sleep in the jail at night. During the day she can go to work, seek medical care, perform community service and attend therapy. So explain to me, HOW is this a punishment?

Oh, and why does she need to attend therapy? The article says that she is distraught by her situation and sees a therapist daily. Um.....yeah.....she should be distraught.....She KILLED someone because she's a vain idiot. A vain idiot who also thinks that her sentence is too harsh.

At what point do we start to accept responsibility for our own actions? Am I the only one who is irritated by this situation? Granted, I am guilty of talking on my cell phone while driving, but I think there has to be some kind of limit to driving distractions. I kinda think they should have made an example out of her and given her a bit harsher sentence.

What do YOU think?

6 comments:

Robin said...

Wow...that is awful. I have seen cases of drunk drivers getting lenient punishments which I find horrifying as well.

Yo mama! said...

That has to take the cake. I thought it was bad enough seeing people reading the newspaper while driving on 294.....I want to run them a**holes off the rode, but this woman is a complete and udder waste of space.

Seriously who paints their nails while driving???

Yo mama! said...

Oh, and maybe one day I'll learn how to spelz

road.

thecoconutdiaries said...

It seems to me that the travesty is that there seems to be no value on the life of a homeless person. If it was Kim Kardashian or tom Brady, you'd bet that woman would be in jail forever.

This makes me sad. Real, real sad.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't there a gal last year that wrecked because she was shaving her umm neter regions while driving? In Florida if memory serves

Anonymous said...

Good job. I'm definitely going to bookmark you!