Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My Addiction Has Gotten Out of Control.....Again.

So today I went to the grocery store. What's so interesting about that you ask? Nothing.
When I opened my trunk though, is when I realized that I really have a problem.

It's full of books.

In fact, not only is my trunk full of bags of books, but so are all my shelves and most of the floor in the mess-i-call-an-office. Many were given to me by other people, and most were bought. There are a few of these books that I haven't read yet, but the vast majority have been. So why do I keep them? I mean, space is a valuable commodity in my house.

Why can't I get rid of them?

Don't get me wrong, there are several books that I do intend to keep as I reread them over and over. The Twilight , Shopaholic and Outlander series' for example. I love them. They are like old friends. But the rest? I'm ambivalent about.
It's almost as if I keep them around like a badge I proudly wear.

One that says LOOK! I. CAN. READ!

So here's my dilemma: What should I do with all of them?
I would like to start sorting through them and getting rid of any previously read/unwanted books. Here are the options I have come up with.
  1. Donate them to the public library. Has anyone done this?
  2. Hand them out to any delivery man, pizza guy, or solicitor that comes to my door. Like a parting gift of sorts.
  3. Throw them all away.....which kind of breaks my heart a bit.
  4. Raffle them off on this here blog. One a week until they're all gone! (well maybe not all, but most)

What do YOU think I should do?

7 comments:

Not Adam said...

i think you should give them to your brother... that'd be nice.

Shannon said...

In addition to flip-flops, I also have an addiction for books!

Do you have a local used bookstore? We've got 2 here where I live and I frequent them both... frequently. They give you either cash or "trade"... just another option for you!

JackeeG4glamorous said...

there is a used bookstore in Chesterton, maybe there is one in Valpo.
I've been seeing boxes like dumpstersplopped down in the parking lot of businesses marked "books for Charity". Now, that charity may be prison, or a used book store, but hey does it matter????
There is always garage sales.

Mimi's Toes said...

You could look into donating to a Safe Place house for Women or shelters. Or you could hold a book sale in your front yard. I wish I had your addiction. My sister just recently became addicted to reading.

Robin said...

give or sell or donate them - at least that is what I do so my house does not get taken over.

ps-with your gift card I bought
http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=1400041201
and
http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=0060083824
Yay!

readsalot said...

I used to take them to a great used bookstore when I was in college and in exchange would buy more books. I have the same sickness that you do. I have four bookcases full and counting!

Anonymous said...

List them all on PaperBackSwap, then you can get new books that you haven't read yet.